Monday, January 28, 2008

monday monday, can trust that day

It wasn't so long ago that I kept us on such a manic schedule that Mondays were literally our only day at home, a fact which I found simultaneously comforting and terrifying. You see, of my many idiosyncrasies, racing thoughts is perhaps the most prevalent, and the one I describe as my kryptonite. In a nutshell, the problem is that I try to function at the speed at which I think, and mercilessly force everyone else, including my children, to try and keep up as well. But for some time, Mondays have been exempt from this cycle, and we have enjoyed some of our most quality time doing everything we normally do, just in slow motion.

Lately Mondays have gotten lost in the shuffle, and have found us scurrying around like any other day, which has been issue #405 on my list of things to address. Then today, we woke up to snow in some parts of the city, and the roads covered in ice. There were strict warnings not to drive at all. Like any addict, my first thought was missing my Starbucks run. Would making my kids walk a mile in 18 degrees be a wonderful rustic homeschool PE experience, or child abuse? Anyway, I settled for a homemade espresso. Sigh. As I enjoyed the waning moments of solitude before my kids began rustling in their bunks (fourth night sleeping through!), it occurred to me that this was my chance to recapture our magic Mondays. I consciously took several deep breaths, looked around my house so I could radically accept its imperfections, and pledged not to dwell on all the things I wish were different. Just for today. And I have made the following goals.:

* no yelling, no matter what
* eat breakfast and lunch at the table with my kids
* crank up our favorite music and do chores at a natural pace
* take a shower before I grow barnacles
* prep lessons while feeling consciously grateful that I have the privilege of staying home with my babies and teaching them, my way, everyday, even if it's a chore
* doing aforementioned lessons with the kids, hoping my new-found sunshine appreciation will radiate from within and motivate them with glad hearts, lol
* a light round of pick-up after lessons, again, set to music
* one hour of quiet reading, for mama too, sometime this afternoon
* call the Gilbert House to confirm that we're signed up for the science fair
* make four separate dinners for four picky eaters (spare me the lectures)
* take deep, deliberate breaths all day long, to keep anxiety at bay
* play a game with the kids
* no yelling no matter what

And if all goes well, we will reward ourselves by risking the two-block drive to my mom's to watch Jon & Kate tonight. (One of my recent attempts at good parenting was having our cable television turned off, and Jon & Kate is the one show we still follow.)

And eat Fruity Pebbles.

And work on conquering the other days of the week.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

while i don't agree with your presidential choice, i do love you dearly. i miss seeing you. seriously.