Tuesday, August 18, 2009

see it, hear it, do it.



This is perhaps in the top five movies I've seen. I will caution that it's not the ideal date movie, unless you happen to be absolutely gorgeous when you throw up into your purse, but my eyes have seldom been opened so wide to an issue so relevant and yet so utterly ignored.

Admittedly, when I have heard talk of slaughter houses and the conditions in which food is "raised" and killed, I have felt somewhat incredulous. It's dead right? What does it matter? This movie will beat the importance of this matter into your head with a two-by-four, via images so gruesome, they will be indelibly imprinted in your brain forever. I am ashamed that there was such a disconnect in my mind between the conditions in which our food lives before it is served to us on a plate with mashed potatoes.

The implications are extremely far-reaching, in terms of health, politics, injustice. (Yes yes almost synonymous, I know.) From the woman whose son died from e coli, who has been fighting for seven years for an acknowledgement from the company who sold the contaminated meat, but cannot even say what changes her family has made as a result of her son's death without being sued, to the ridiculously endearing farmer with Coke-bottle glasses whose strident belief in free-range growing will win your heart, to the complex monstrosity that is Monsanto and its seemingly impending world domination.

Never in my life would I have thought that the cross-pollination of soybeans could hold such interest, and launch me into action.

Food Inc. paints an exceptionally vivid landscape of our need to lift the veil on food manufacturing, by delving into topics such as:

-Factory farming.
-Genetic engineering.
-Farm worker protection.
-Global food chain.
-Cloning.

This is my hero, Joel Salatin:

I mean, I don't want to see the guy in a thong or anything, but he's awesome, one of the last true American farmers.

So, if you care about what you eat, and/or not dying, watch this moving. If it doesn't propel you into action, then you're an apathetic bastard.

Oops, gotta go, some black Suburbans just pulled up full of Monsanto investigators.

7 comments:

Mesina said...

oooh I will be checking this one out! I have a very dear circle of friends who care everything about the enviornment as passionately as I do. I mean, I could be doing more yes, I want to do more and anything to further open my eyes to the truth of what we eat compells me. I will check this out pronto!
Now I need to marry you for caring about stuff I do so deeply too. Ya know, to make an honest woman out of me since we're having a baby ♥

gail said...

AMEN! extremely well said, as always. i wish more people would see the movie, but sadly, i don't think those who should see it the most will do so.

Susannah said...

Sounds great! I read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver late last year and I felt the same way.

stone hunter said...

Yikes. I watched the Peta factory- farm film your aunt Chachi sent me, and there is a live cow hanging by one hoof on the slow mechanized travail toward more torture and death and I will never forget her terrified eyes. Never. If I watch this one, do you understand that I will at last really have to leave and live in my truck while I travel to protest Monsanto and Washington?

Mesina said...

Jesse. I ♥ you woman.

debe said...

you should watch earthlings, it's amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLQmYNsgKy0

Cheyenne said...

Yeah Mom, I know.

I'm counting on you to save the world. I'll give you gas money.